Monday, March 22, 2010

Parting is such sweet sorrow

As excited as I was for my husband to come home Friday night, that's how depressed I am that he has left. They say your first year of marriage is the hardest, and I used to believe that. They also say that the year you have a child, that is a very difficult year in a marriage. Makes sense, the once again shifting of the relationship paradigm. But, that year brought us scary close to one another. It's sorta like being in war together; you're scared to death, you are fighting to stay alive ( or at least to be sure that you keep your child alive), and you do some growing up together. It definitely takes it to the next level. Now, we are heading towards are 11th year of marriage (yes, I married at the age of 13:), we've just spent year 9 &10 being downsized 3 times. Oh yeah, you heard me correctly. If that is not the test of your marital strength, I don't know what is. Seriously, in my world, money is the root of all evil; when there is none....I get evil. Not really, but its a stress to have bills coming in and what little income you have going out. But we weathered through it together. Hell, this last time, I didn't even stress about it. I just said to myself, "Hey, worrying helps no one, it makes my energy all negative..I'm not doing it." Then there was a job. A wonderful lovely, knight in shining armor job rode in all the way from Iowa on its big metaphorical steed and rescued us. Yey, the day is saved. But all is not what it seems, yes, we are blessed by God to have found employment in this economy so quickly. I know that. But seriously, did it have to be 4 hours away from where we live. Here I am , a wife who actually likes having my husband around a lot, and he is in Iowa. Poor guy is living like a transient it what we refer to as his "hole" , a very nice 1 bedroom apartment furnished with a blow up bed, 2 camping chairs and a few other oddities from our garage. I feel really terrible. I know he is not taking more because he doesn't want the girls and I to feel as if he actually "lives" there. But the fact of the matter is that he is there more than he is here. I essentially have a long distance marriage at this point. I think if we hadn't been through so much together already as a married couple and be in such a stable and committed marriage,  this could be dangerous. I used to always use the line, "hey, if I wanted to be alone I would have stayed single." That was back when we first got married, when I was 12 and apparently really immature and needed to be with him constantly. I used to shutter at the idea of him traveling for business. I guess I've learned my lesson. Traveling occasionally would be amazing compared to this situation. It's kind of exciting, that I get to get all excited to see my husband like when we were first dating but at the same time, the parting is such sweet sorrow! Every Friday, I get all jazzed up like a 15 year old version of myself about to see her boyfriend for a hot date and then Sunday night reality slaps me right across the face and I realize I won't see my husband for a few more days.I'm not complaining, well maybe a little, but hey what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? After the last couple years of marriage, I think I probably have strength and fortitude the likes of Lou Ferrigno! So, just to recap; job good, money good, having wonderful husband 4 hours away from myself and my girls..bites!


4 comments:

  1. That's why I say, women are the backbone of a family...because despite it all YOU are holding it together for the girls...try (and I know that's easier said than done) to think of it like a temporary means to an end.

    I could ship my 3 heathens to you...you wouldn't have a moment to think of your husband then..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks J! LOL, believe me these 2 keep me plenty busy. I have been finding a million and one activities to keep us occupied. Its not too bad, except for Sunday night. It will all work out. In the plus, he absolutely loves this job, which is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,honey..I did it too and understand, but fortunately we only had to do it for a couple of months before we moved together to VA. Chin up and use those family members to give you a break. Trust me, it will help not let the frustration with the whole situation spiral out of control. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so hard. My husband travels a fair bit. Half the time I'm so distracted at home I can't keep track of where he is - and it takes its toll... Hugs!

    Peryl

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!