Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Be a Better Parent Challenge - Day 3 - No more "Good Job!"

DAY # 3; but before we get that far, how did challenge #2 go for you? For me, challenge #2; Punish without anger was pretty hard. Honestly, by the time I get around to punishing,I'm usually pretty pissed. Yesterday, being that I was aware of it. I was more aware of the situation, I reacted with actual thought and not just emotion, and I was making sure that punishments fit the crime. I also made a point of not threatening anything that I was not willing to actually follow through with. All in all, I think it was pretty good.  I did start the 1-2-3 Magic book and I think it will be helpful. It will probably take me the week to read it, but next week it will go into effect..hopefully.
Today's challenge is No more Good Job! What? But all the parenting books say positive praise? Right? That's what you are thinking? Well, the point is not to NOT use positive praise its to be a little more inventive. Parents are so used to saying "Good Job!" it's almost that "auto pilot Uh HUH" thing I was talking about on day 1. Being that we say it so much, I'm pretty sure our kids are numb to it. It's lost its meaning. So, our challenge today is to come up with some new words of praise. Kristen offered these as some viable options  

Great observation. I like how you think. I really appreciate that you said "thank you." Awesome work. Good choice. You did it! 


The important thing is to be specific! That way, they'll know you are sincere and actually paying attention. They will know that their good deeds/behavior are noticed and worthy of praise. By doing this, the praise will mean something to them. Good luck. Can't wait to hear how this goes and any ingenious terms you come up with.

2 comments:

  1. I'm following you, I would love if you could follow me!

    http://momsreview4you.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never even thought about this, but it makes sense. I am very curious to see how it turns out today and in the long term...

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!