Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How Rock Band and Pomtini's saved my sanity

Things have been hectic, to say the least, around here the last few months. There was a time , not so long ago, when I was positive that I would lose my mind at any moment. The girls realized that they outnumbered me during the week and they decided that was the time to strike.Devious little boogers they are, it seemed as though they were plotting and conniving to make my life a living hell while their father was away. I was certain that they were striving to make me go mad. They almost succeeded. Oh yeah, they almost broke me. You know that feeling you get when the day is just too long, the kids haven't listened at all, the laundry is piled to the ceiling, toys have exploded all over the living room, and the children have definitely been possessed by a demon of some sort? Yeah, that's the kind of few months I was having.

Then one night, after a string of hectic days culminating with Bella's 5th birthday, my husband suggested that I come downstairs and play Rock band with him, my brother, my sister and her fiance. It was a very typical family gathering of our bunch. I have always loved to sing but not exactly thrilled about singing  into a microphone in front of people.I wasn't sure Rock band was my thing. Isn't that more for prepubescent teen rock band wannabes and frat boys? But it was amongst family, they were drinking, my husband made me a Pomtini (the girls had finally went to bed) and......a star was born. I sang the hell outta "Take another little piece of my heart", "We got the Beat". "Linger", even a little "Painkiller"! I was in a zone and having the time of my life.I was in my basement, drinking Pomtinis with my favorite people in the world and singing like no one was watching! It was liberating, it was soothing, and it allowed me a place to channel all of that frustration and aggravation I had been trying to contain. You know the days when you feel like you are trapped in  Munch's The Scream?


The next morning, I woke up and I felt calmer ( almost creepy calm) and I was able to function on a much higher level as an adult. Isn't that  ironic?  I was actually able to step back from the situations of chaos; the exploding toy boxes, the toddler cat fights (Meow!Kitties have claws), the dog pissing on the floor because I was up til 2 am posting after the kids went to sleep and wasn't up at the crack of dawn to let the bitch out, and more. Rock band allowed me the time to have perspective, and to be alone in my head for a few minutes. Serenity now!

Now, when I feel the craziness getting to be too much...I grab the girls, head downstairs and we Rock out to Rock Band. I sing as many songs as it takes to get the frustration out and the calmness back ( hey it sounds prettier than screaming at the kids and it serves the same purpose). Our sessions have lasted anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours.The girls pretend they are my back up singers and dress up in their princess costumes and dance around, so we are spending quality time together versus me screaming and flying off the deep end. I'd rather have them fondly recollect  memories of their goofy Mommy singing Margaritaville instead of their mean Mommy throwing the toys from the floor into the garbage, or burning the laundry because she got sick of looking at it.No, now (on most days) I have been able to back up and say, as my child screams bloody murder because her panties socks a knat an ant her sister is irritating her, "I understand you are frustrated but  it will all be OK. Take a breath and calm down. Let mommy give you a hug!" Opposed to, " Oh my Freaking God, they are just panties, socks, a knat, and ant, your sister! What is wrong with you?"
Who knew that something I normally would have shunned and turned my nose up at would end up being the very thing that quite literally may have saved my sanity, my relationship with my girls, and my credentials as their Mommy. The Pomtinis didn't hurt either!
If you need a release and going bald from stress, going gray from stress, getting wrinkles, beating your children, are not avenues that you'd like to explore then I'm suggesting a little stress relief by banging some drums, jamming to some fake guitar, singing your heart out, or just dancing like no one else is around! I promise, you may feel silly in the beginning (because unlike Daddies, Mommies don't initially feel that it is cool to be playing in a pretend rock band) but by the time you are done with one set, you will feel calmer and more relaxed and even happier! Happy Rock band mothering!

3 comments:

  1. YEA to Rock Band !!! I love to sing, but same thing, i can do karaoke in a bar, but when it comes to in the house... i totally become stage shy! LoL... i love playing the guitar after a stressed day (rockband/guitar hero guitar not real one) .. And in my opinion it is totally educational... eye hand coordination :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew rock band would be such a good stress reliever. I may have to try that..and a pomtini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left you an award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!