Wednesday, June 9, 2010

All shit can be shinola with the right spin doctor

I've been biting my tongue on this whole border/immigration issue but this...this is too much. I am saddened and embarrassed by what has become of our borders. What happened to
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door." ? 

Was it all a bunch of bullshit? Was there a statute of limitations on how long that rang true?


Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

For the full story please read here

Well,I've seen this story in print and on video and any way you slice it, it makes me sick.  First, of all, depending on the source this kid was either 14 or 15, he was small, and he was with a group of other individuals who may or may not have been smugglers or smuglees. The agent may or may not have been male or female. I  guess its all a matter of who is telling it and how they want to spin it. From gathering the evidence, I'd say it was a kid who was being an asshole with his friends. They started throwing rocks ( not wielding rifles or machetes) at border patrol, very infantile and stupid, but not a crime punishable by death. I love how the video says that the agent was surrounded and then mentions that many border patrol have sustained head wounds from the rock throwing that goes on at the border. How ironic, she could have been hit in the head by a rock but instead he got a bullet through his brain. I am NOT condoning these kids behavior and I suspect that FBI Special Agent Andrea Simmons was scared with rapid fire rocks being hurled at her head while trying to contain a suspect. Who wouldn't be? I , myself, would have been scared shitless. But if the border wasn't in such a shitty way these days, things wouldn't have escalated and this agent wouldn't have been so mentally on high alert. The whole immigration situation is ridiculous. Who in the hell thinks its punishable by death to try and find a better way of life for yourself and your family? I understand the whole, do it legally argument. I agree, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. If your children are starving in a third world country you do what you have to to get them out of that situation. This country was founded as a refuge for immigrants;  a safe haven for those in search of a better life. Now, we decide to change the rules? Now, we decide its OK to shoot some Mother's child simply for trying to gain entrance? I don't understand how we can live in  a time in history when it is alright to shoot immigrants HUMAN BEINGS for minor infractions of the law and to kill all the animals in the ocean with an unstoppable oil spill. Who's running this circus? Are you really telling me with all that we can do and all the technology we have, we can not get along,respect our fellow man, or our planet? I think we all need to take a step back and examine just what kind of people we want to be? What kind of world do we want to be a part of? What legacy do we want to leave on the history books for our children?

6 comments:

  1. I noticed you stopped by my blog... so had to come check yours out. I really enjoyed reading... so I am now following. Feel free to do the same if you like!
    All the best,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I think the whole border thing is getting way out of control. I mean we need border control, I agree. But it's just...so primitive. I think it's fairly simple. If someone breeches the border and the border patrol find him he should be arrested and sent back. That's fair I guess. No one should be shot at unless they're being shot at. Someone throwing a stone doesn't represent being shot at. I'm not saying that agent wasn't in danger or afraid or in a bad position, just that the balance seems a little...skewed. Of course, I wasn't there. Nor did I hear about it except here.

    I do feel bad for normal, innocent people trying to cross the border and find a better life. I know they have to be controlled but I can't help thinking, "What right does anyone have to tell anyone else where they can live peacefully?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That boy was somebody's child. It's sad. Indeed. It's sad that you can be asked to "show your papers" in Arizona, like we're in friggin' Nazi Germany or something. It's sad because most of us come from immigrants of some sort. Well, technically we all do, unless you are Native American and don't even get me started on how we treat them!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I'm glad you posted this, I have to admit most of the view of many bloggers I met, well honestly, they scare me and I don't agree with any of them. I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Vegetable Assassin, I agree...can't we all just get along? Come one people...give peace a chance! I promise we Mexicans don't bite...unless you're into that sort of thing:)
    @ Ma whats for Dinner, I too fear that this has the feel of Nazi Germany. Look how that turned out? I stayed away as long as I could ( from this topic) but this report just made me cringe. These new immigration laws may be for the appropriate reasons but there will surely be people who use the opportunity to declare their own war on immigrants. It lends itself to giving validity to racism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Ma whats for dinner,
    P.S. I am 1st generation Mexican American (paternal) and 1/8th Cherokee (mother's side) blended with a big chunk of European muttiness ( Irish, Italian, French, English)so I could fall into the category of "show me your papers" or "Hey Get out..I was here first" Ironic, right? LOL! Can't we all just get along! I Say know peace, live peace, love peace!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!