Friday, April 16, 2010

Things my daughters taught me

I thought this Motherhood gig was all about me shaping, molding, teaching these little , adorable human beings of mine. I knew it would be loads of work; and it is. It is a grueling 24 hour a day job that never stops. I knew (in theory) that was what I was in for but I never expected what I actually got. As tired as I am most days and holding on for dear life to my last string of sanity, I am always amazed. I never expected to learn anything from my children. Come on, everything they know..I taught them,right? Apparently not. I guess I have to relinquish some of the pride in my nurturing because I have to admit, I'm pretty sure there is a lot of nature in it. 
For instance, my 2 year old who is so honest at times that she actually scares me.Many times I have asked her to do something and she will simply say no. Ask her why, she will say because she doesn't want to.In a world full of excuses, this little girl makes none. She is who she is, and that's who she is..Deal with it! It used to annoy me that she would just say no she didn't want to.Let's be honest, us Mommies, we do a lot of things that we don't want to. I know for a fact I don't want to do dishes, fold laundry, cook, run errands, pay bills, keep appointments or obligations but that's my life. That's being an adult, right? The more I think of it, why can't I take a cue from my 2 year old in her infinite wisdom. I mean wouldn't it be the nicer thing to do then to be insulting and come up with ridiculous excuses why you can't do things. I appreciate her honesty and her braveness with her integrity is admirable. When my 2 year old does decide to help you, it is whole hearted and it is selfless and it is beautiful. From my 5 year old, I have learned to be fearless. I know where she gets this, I do remember a time when that was me.Since having my girls, I have become much less reckless and more cautious because every day with them is the most important of my life. My Bella will do whatever it takes to achieve her goals. It doesn't matter if it scares the hell outta her, she will pursue it with a fierceness. There is not much she can't do. In fact, I don't think there is anything that she can't do..if she puts her mind to it. Her spirit is free and her heart is open. She loves with abandon and if you are lucky enough to be one of those who she does love; she will walk through hell to make you happy.
My daughters have reminded me that I can do anything that I set my mind to.They have also reminded me to have integrity and pride. I am embracing love with full abandon. I am learning to be honest with myself, to be fearless and to relish all that life has to offer. They have also taught me that a child's giggle, their little hand in yours, a snuggle, a kiss goodnight, their true smile..can melt your heart and make you feel more vulnerable then you ever thought possible. They have taught me that the world is a beautiful, miraculous place where everything is possible.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts. Would you be interested in adding some advice at www.emptynestsfullhearts.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think kids teach parents just as much as parents teach kids. It is all just one big ole circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have also said that was a really great post:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing what kids will teach you? One of the biggest lessons I have learned from my kids is forgiveness .
    I found your blog through Friday Follow and am now following. I always love learning truths that other mothers have discovered!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!