Wednesday, April 7, 2010

In like a Lion; out like a Lamb


Some days it rains. Other days it pours and in between there is always a little bit of the most amazing sunshine; this statement is very appropriate for a Midwestern spring but it is also applicable to Motherhood. I guess it's safe to say that Motherhood is like a Midwestern spring; beautiful, wet, unexpected, and wonderful...most of the time and other times...wet, soggy, dingy, dirty, and bleak. Or if it is a really special day, you can experience all of it in a given 24 hour period. I am reminded of this for two reasons simultaneously, today it poured rain while the sun poked through occasionally...just to get my hopes up.Much like my 5 year old who fights me tooth and nail at bedtime every single night, but once every week she goes to bed with no argument, no noise, no screaming. Those nights I cherish, just like those bits of hopeful sunshine peeping through the clouds. Or the continuous string of "no"s that fire from my 2 year old's mouth, no matter what I ask her. But once every so often I get a surprising "Yes, Mama!" Those are my moments of hope. Hope that I survive these days , when the rain feels like a torrential downpour. That I survive having everything I am sucked right out of me. The moments of unconditional love, the little arms "wringing my neck" ( what we refer to in our household as a really good hug:), someone looking at me completely helpless but looking at me like I have the answers to all the world's mysteries, a sleeping child cuddled next to me, a giggle from the tub, a "Mama, you are my best friend in the world"..these moments of sunshine make all the rain forgotten. Perhaps that is why when I am having such a time trying to wrangle them to bed and I feel like all hope is lost...and my mind is soon to follow....all it takes is a flash of those adorable little smiles and an "I love you Mama!" and all is right with the world! I'm such a sucker.Like spring in the Midwest, what starts out like a Lion..ends up like a Lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!