Monday, March 1, 2010

Stupid people should not be allowed around children

I still don't understand how you have to be 18 to vote, 21 to drink, 16 to drive, you have to pass a test to see, a test to drive, a test to do everything except to have a child. I think there should be classes offered for parenting before you are actually pregnant and even for being around children in general, and one must pass a test at the end of the learning period to proceed. As it is now, any fool can have a child and be around children; barring any felonies related to child misconduct but by that time the damage has been done. What I am referencing are people saying stupid things to children or not thinking before they speak to children.Case in point; little boy and his brother 4 and 6 sitting in a room playing, visiting relative says ,"Oh look, its the cute one and the ugly one!" Before you ask, the parents, stood idly by as this train wreck took place and the "ugly" ones self esteem went up in flames.If I would have been there, I can assure you that I would have promptly punched said relative in the face! Another case, little boy and his same aged cousin run up to their Grandmother.Grandmother is annoyed with one of the boy's Dad.The little boy says ,"Grandma, I love you!" Grandma says,"I'm not your Grandma!" Little boy is devastated and left feeling unloved and inferior. No one says anything.WTH! Can you really be so loathsome and evil as to say something so obviously hateful towards a 4 year old? You see what I am saying? I could go on forever with the things I've heard but instead I'd like to illustrate another case. Little girl is hyper and excited to see her grandparents and is jumping around and talking a million miles a minute. All she wants to do is catch them up.She is asking for Grandma because she wants to share all the details of the past couple of weeks. Grandpa looks at little girls and says, "She doesn't want to hear about it! She has to go to bed, its late!"This was not said in a pleasant tone, it was short, it was curt , it was rude. Little girl's heart is broken in that instant, she is deflated, she is confused and about to cry. Mommy speaks up" Excuse me, don't speak to her like that.She was excited and trying to share with you because she loves you.If you can't appreciate that, your loss but DON'T speak to her like that ever again!"Mouth agape, tail between legs,in silence he agreed. It may have taken balls to stand up to the little girl's grandfather but it had to be done in order to preserve her daughter's self esteem, self worth, and self respect. The moral of the story is some people should NOT be allowed to be around children...ever! Seriously, there ought to be a law and a test. Bonus moral, if you ever over hear an idiot thoughtlessly berating a child, insert yourself into the situation, stand up for the child, and by all means, punch the mean bastard who is breaking the child's heart square in the neck! Call it a service to mankind!
The Parents We Mean To Be: How Well-Intentioned Adults Undermine Children's Moral and Emotional Development

2 comments:

  1. This happened to me....Neck punched. Okay, so I had a phone conversation but if my children had not been in the room I would've taken advantage of my Ally McBeal moment and flown over the couch to strangle him. Crazy? No, just fiercely in love with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also need a license to fish, but again...

    You are right and unfortunately the stupidity on some adults end does not stop when their children grow up. They just keep on saying incredibly stupid things and reinforce the hurt they have already inflicted.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!