Monday, March 29, 2010

Food Revolution: “When you invite people to think, you are inviting revolution”


“When you invite people to think, you are inviting revolution” ... Ivana Gabara. Did anyone else see the first , or was it the second episode, in which Jamie shared with the kiddos how chicken nuggets are made? I think he disclaimed it with "this is not how they are made "here" (meaning the U.S) but seeing the ribs and the left over parts going into a food processor has stuck in my brain. I can not get that image out of my mind and I don't 100% believe his disclaimer. All of this time, like a fool, I have been feeding my kids nuggets like its a healthy alternative but its crap. How did I never understand , before Jamie Oliver's demonstration, exactly what the hell "rib meat" meant? I had no idea it meant actual ribs were ground up into the nuggets. I was thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing. I can no longer, in good conscience, allow my children to eat processed nuggets. There are a plethora of things they are not allowed to eat and that they are only allowed in very limited quantities, but now one more thing is gone. Not to mention, I, myself, will never be able to eat another nugget again. My new thought process is this, if I can't recognize what body part or animal the meat comes from; we can't eat it. Now that I am really thinking it over, seeing as I am a recovering vegetarian, going back to that way of life is not such a bad idea. At least with veggies, everything is recognizable and readily available without going through processing. For now, the girls will be sticking with white meat tenders but I'm not sure how long I can go on this way. I think I need to really start researching our food choices because obviously what I thought could pass for a healthier alternative is not! I even went out and bought Jamie's new cookbook, I guess that was sort of the point, right?LOL Whatever it takes to make sure my kids are eating healthy foods that are good for them. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on ME!

Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals



3 comments:

  1. Yes, isn't it gross and awful? And did you know that in 2007 the FDA approved the use of ammonia in our beef? That's why we added organic beef to our lives. It's all so sad, really. You should watch Food Inc and see even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look into that. I had no idea about the ammonia, that is scary and ridiculous. When I was a vegetarian for 10 years, I had also taken some ethics and animals courses and educated myself and it was pretty impossible to even fathom eating animals. I seriously, think that is something I may have to revisit but for now, well, go to organic! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the first show and was sickened when they feed the kids pizza for breakfast. I really hope this guy can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!