Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Working out the weight Wednesday

Ok, so its come to my attention lately that apparently, I am not the only Mommy in the world (or even my circle) who is trying to figure out a way to raise a family, keep them healthy and happy, and ,while doing so, keep herself in shape. So, I am proposing that Wednesday, the until now dreaded "HUMP DAY" now become something positive for us Mommies. Let's make Wednesday the day we come here and share weight loss tips, healthy recipes that taste good ( not ones that taste like cardboard, they help NO ONE!), workout routines that we like and enjoy,etc. I think it could be very positive and who can't use some extra advice in this area? I mean, usually, we don't just ask our friends " Hey, you are in great shape. What do you do?" We'd like to, but we don't. It's a little awkward and kinda like asking your fertile friends what kind of sexual position worked best for them when trying to conceive. Sure, it could be beneficial to get some new moves in our arsenal and speed up the process but its a touchy subject and not everyone likes to share, plus how do you ask without sounding like a whack job?Same goes for weight loss. But if we had a place to exchange ideas, or just pick some up, I think it would be helpful. It certainly would for me:) I am currently doing a combination of Weight Watchers and Turbo Jam.Both I love. I started on September 25th of '09, and have thus far lost a grand total of 25 lbs.It's good but it could be better. I think I need to change up my food variety.Anybody got any great ideas for yummy,healthy recipes? Or what about tricks to get your kids to eat healthy foods? I have exhausted the Deceptively Delicious cookbook and need some fresh ideas. If my husband catches me sneaking cauliflower and sweet potato into his lasagna once more, it may be the end of me:)Any and all ideas welcome!

6 comments:

  1. Love it Truthful Mommy! And we miss you here at WW...:)
    Your truthful WW receptionist-Jenn
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark Chocolate Brownies
    Ingredients

    * 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
    * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    * 1 cup whole grain pastry flour*
    * 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 4 large eggs
    * 1 cup packed light brown sugar
    * 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    * 1/4 cup canola oil
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

    Directions

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13inch baking pan with cooking spray.

    Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or heatproof bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally.

    In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.

    In a large bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until smooth. Add the yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add the chocolate-butter mixture and whisk until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix until just moistened.

    Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts if using. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 24 squares.

    Serving size: 1 square

    * whole grain pastry flour (also called whole wheat pastry flour) is found in many major supermarkets and in most health food stores. If you cannot find it you may substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup all purpose flour in this recipe.

    Per Serving without walnuts:

    Calories 150; Total Fat 8 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 2 g, Poly Fat .8 g) ; Protein 3 g; Carb 18 g; Fiber 1 g; Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 55 mg

    Per Serving with walnuts:

    Calories 170; Total Fat 10 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 2.3 g, Poly Fat 2.6 g) ; Protein 3 g; Carb 19 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 40 mg; Sodium 55 mg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following from MBC! Look forward to getting to know you. Hope you will follow me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks sooo much for stopping by and for such a nice comment!
    Don't miss the Valentine's Day Giveaway, tomorrow on Sweet as a Candy :-)
    Hugs
    Federica

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Blessing following from MBC.

    Follow me at www.safehomehappymom.com too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a lifelong ww fan, until it stopped working for me, or I should say I lost interest in lots of cardboard food. Hey I lost 70 lbs on it. When I gained 30 of it back, I knew it was time to make a change. So I found a Beachbody (maker of Turbo Jam) Product, P90x. With the Combination of that and Eating Clean (REAL FOOD, staying away from preservatives, additives). So I have not had a diet soda or frozen meal since June of 2009. It is a change that has worked for me and the combination of P90x and other Beachbody Products as well as my eating clean change I have managed to lose 15% body fat, 2+pant sizes, 14 inches overall, and if you can believe it only 9 lbs. So I am in the same size as I was in when I lost that 70 lbs, but since I have a great deal more lean muscle mass the weight is not an issue. I put my scale away and have a positive attitude everyday because I feel so wonderful. Best thing is, my kids have noticed that when things are healthy and when they are not and they ask. This makes me incredibly happy.

    For the Kids I discovered Ocean Spray Light Fruit & Veggie Cranberry Strawberry Banana...incredients are not 100% perfect but as close as you can get (made with Splenda). My 6 year old asks for it multiple times a day.

    If anyone has any questions about my journey or want to see my before and after pics you can...
    www.coachannagray.com

    Great Idea on the Hump Day posts...of course today is not Hump Day, but Im glad I found your blog.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!