Monday, August 23, 2010

Be A Better Parent Challenge- Day 21-23

Friday's Be a Better Parent Challenge - Day 20 - Keep a journal
I'd love to say I did a fabulous job but that would be a total lie. I had visitors from out of town and it was impossible to find time to post , little lone journal. I am however going to give it a try this week. I'll keep you posted. How did you ladies do?

Be a Better Parent Challenge - Day 21 - Fake it

Try curtailing your "anger" (which The New Girl determined was more of an impulse control issue rather than anger) by actually faking it. Rolling your eyes, moving along, and pretending.
You'll see in the comments that she's not at all saying that you should fake how you're feeling. Big difference. So that's not what I'm talking about at all.

But in many cases, we often let ourselves blow up quickly when really, if we just rolled our eyes and looked at the bigger picture, we'd have way fewer massive blow-ups.Basically,we need to fake our reaction. Feel your feelings but fake control:)

Let me know how that works out for you. I know I will have to work hard on this one. I have a quick temper and I have to work hard to step back and think. I am interested to see how this works out.

Be a Better Parent Challenge - Day 22 - Dates with your kids

Whether you've got one kid or a bunch, it's really important to spend individual time with them. It's obviously a little easier when you have just one, and then, increasingly more challenging the more you add to your brood.God knows I spend most days feeling like one is being left out. It was so much easier for me when I only had one. I adore both, but its hard work making sure everybody gets the same attention and no one feels left out or slighted. Lucky for me, they have no issue with letting me know!

So #22: Plan a date night with your kids
Granted, it doesn't need to be a night, obviously, and it certainly doesn't need to be anything extravagant. In fact, it could be something that you always do together, month after month. Breakfast out? Trip to a special playground? An afternoon at a museum? This is difficult for us Mommies who are part time single Mothers or those who are actual full time single mothers but it is possible. It's hard for me to give them each individual personal time because they are so close in age and I can't justify leaving one out. I am planning on making the time while my 5 year old is on school, special time for my 3 year old and I. I will do the same for my 5 year old, while the 3 year old naps. It's the best Ic an do.

There are so many fantastic ways for you to connect individually with your kiddos, especially outside of your home, which always seems to be bogged down with 400 things that you need to do other than spend alone time with them. But if you can look past the laundry and the ignore the dishes, quality time can easily be spent int he comfort of your own home.Let me know what ideas you have fro "Date Night" with your kids. How did it go?
And how did faking it go? 

Be a Better Parent Challenge - Day 23 - Give 'em choices


Only a little over a week left, folks. I hope you're still with me.I hope that you are feeling like you're getting something out of this. I am loving the challenges and feel like I am being proactive in my parenting.
I also have noticed by utilizing these techniques I have eliminated a lot of the regular tantrums and meltdowns that we were having, which is AWESOME!!!

And I do hope you found some ideas for date "nights" with your kids. I realize that those are a little hard to do impromptu, but you can certainly plan ahead.

#23: Give 'em choices
Giving your kids choices is a fantastic way to get them to do what you want without a battle (ha) but also to allow them some control, which is super important - particularly for the younger set (i.e. 2-5ish). The key here is to only give them TWO. Yes, and only choices that you actually want to abide by, Don't make offers that you have no intention of keeping. This is how I have always done choices and it seems to work pretty well. It creates a sense of autonomy without letting them get out of  your realm of control.

Forget "What do you want for lunch?" questions and give them options. Just two.
Or when it comes to getting out of the house "You can put your shoes on and come with us, or leave them off and stay here."This is one of my favorites, Basically, look kiddo you can do as I say and get to go do something fun or we can just stay here. My girls chomp at the bit to get out of the house ( they have their Mama's cabin fever gene) so usually it goes as I plan. Of course, if you are dealing with a overtired  or sick child, expect the unexpected sometimes they go rogue and  you find yourself punished and unable to leave the house:(

My favorite: "You can pick up your clothes off the floor or I can pick them up and take them all to Goodwill." Desperate times, mamas.Desperate measures. This works with my girls because they are clothes fanatics. But you get the picture...."Pick up the Barbie dolls or I will pick them up and give then to the homeless!" See, its easy..just be sure to follow through or you will lose all control....forever!

Anyway, you get the idea. Now go give it a try. Let me know how it goes!

Just a reminder, the Month of September, I will be doing a month long Be a Better Me (You) Challenge in celebration of my Birthday! Hope you can all join me. There's more to us than just being a Mommy, so next month we will give some attention to that woman:) Also, I am trying to reach a goal of 1000 followers by my birthday September 25, so if you are not already following please do.If you already are please pass it on to your friends who you think might like it, tweet it, Facebook it. Only 432 more followers needed:)Happy Mothering!

1 comment:

  1. I do roll my eyes a lot so it's good to know that sometimes it's ok.

    Date nights are still a challenge for me but I definitely hope to pick it up especially once the hubby deploys.

    As for the options thing, I totally do that. It gives them the right choice and they understand and can be proud when they choose it. I totally am not a fan of open ended questions cuz often times you'll find you get answers you didn't really want to hear. Let's save those times for the teenager years. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts on my truth! Please leave some love, insight , or even disagreement with mine. I believe in free thought and speech. Happy Mothering!!